Sunday, May 27, 2012

Another Version of the Chunky Basket

Lately, I have been obsessed with yarn bowls. They are so beautiful and I'm close to breaking down and buying one. This basket was made for a new friend who wants to use it as a yarn bowl.



As you can see, this is almost exactly like the Chunky Crocheted Basket. I changed the handles to make them more substantial. Linda, my new friend I mentioned, wants to be able to put her yarn inside and use it like a yarn bowl. I hope it works well for her.

I just love the color. Blue is and has always been my favorite.


I altered the original pattern. If you are interested in making this version...just follow the instructions below

You will hold two strands of yarn together 

Refer to the instructions for the original Chunky Crocheted Basket for rounds 1-11.

Rnd 12: Ch 2, Hdc in next 8 sts, ch 7, skip next 5 sts, hdc in next 19 sts, ch 7, skip next 5 sts, hdc in remaining 10 sts. Join with sl st.

Rnd 13:  Ch 1, sc in the back loop of each st around (including the back loop of each chain). Join with sl st.

Rnd 14: Ch 2, hdc in next 8 sts, sc in next 7 sts, hdc in next 19 sts, sc in next 7 sts, hdc in each remaining st. Join with sl st.

Rnd 15: Sl st in each st around. Finish off with no knot finishing method...just click on the link and scroll down to find the instructions.


As you can tell, I am addicted to making these baskets. This one can be used as a basket or a yarn bowl. This has inspired me to come up with a whole new yarn bowl pattern. Check back in a few days for that pattern. 

I'm still thinking about buying the real thing, though. They are just so beautiful...I can't decide which color I want. 




I can't decide...they are all just gorgeous. What do you think?...I'm thinking maybe the last one, if it is large enough.

If you would like to win a basket, I'm currently having a giveaway. Go to my previous post and just leave me a comment letting me know you want to be entered to win. I'll choose a winner next Saturday.

I hope you're having a great weekend:D

20 comments:

  1. I, too, love blue! It was my Mom's favorite color and I think that love rubbed off on me too! Love this basket! I need to make one (or two or three). LOL Hope you're having a great weekend! The heat has really set in up here in Virginia...I'm sure you're feeling it down there too! The mosquitoes are brutal this year! Saw the first lightning bugs of the season last night! Take care! Hugs, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the change to the handles...may have to add that extra row onto the latest one I made, the little one is hauling her dollys around in it and I think the handles might need some help with the weight of her little collection and the constant use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice hun. Ilike the last bowl the colors look cool...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blue too.. as the MIL of 2 UNC graduates that particular blue is always a hit around here.. haha..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your basket! And I adore blue, too. Wish we had chunky yarns here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made my first basket! Since I've never used bulky yarn before, I am just wondering if you separate the yarn strands in order to weave in the ends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      You do not have to separate the ends...just use a yarn needle and weave the ends like normal. I always weave the ends on the inside of the basket for about 4 inches (for each end)
      I hope you like your basket:)
      Liz

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the "new" pattern.. Now I HAVE to make one!!

    By the way--I have a beautiful purple yarn bowl that I received as a Christmas present.. And I just love it.. For me tho, I wish it was bigger.. I like all 3 of these bowls too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOur friend is going to love that beautiful basket. I love yarn bowls too. I would love to have one but since I have several projects going on at once I usually keep them in baskets, which I grab depending on what I want to work on. Hope you are having a great holiday,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, by the way.. My favorite yarn bowl that you have on this blog would be the last one as well. I love how the colors play with each other. If I could post a picture of my favorite yarn bowls from Etsy, I would. I like the larger, wider yarn bowls that I see there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous blue basket for your friend....I love all the yarn bowls...I've never seen these before....the last one is my favourite as I love the blue and purple together :) Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your chunky baskets. I was on a basket making roll a while back. Now I'm thinking I need to make some more. :) Have a wonderful day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your yarn baskets! I've seen them on Pinterest. I'd LOVE if you'd link up to my new link party for the fiber arts! I just became your newest follower as well :o)
    http://www.mymerrymessylife.com/2012/06/new-link-party-hookin-on-hump-day-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. just wondering... what does it mean 'hold two strands of yarn together? and can you make the basket without doing that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      When you crochet you will crochet with two strands held together instead of just one. You can crochet with just one, but the basket will not turn out the same. It will not look the same or stand up. It will not be sturdy. You should use super bulky yarn. Regular worsted weight yarn takes 4 strands held together.
      Liz

      Delete
  14. looks like i am too late for this one too but i must say they are all beautiful and wud love to know which one u ended up getting..i think i like the last one...but they are all beautiful...just thought i wud jump in here...i was just thinking the other day,i wonder where i cud find a yarn holder after picking my yarn up off the floor for the 100th thousand times....lol..so this is great i am now going to search and see if u have come up with a yarn hold ..see u later..a friend and follower..michel

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this Chunky Basket! I really want to make one for my new baby girl, any suggestions on how to make a square/two toned one?

    ReplyDelete